Saturday, November 27, 2010

A trip to the ER

We spent 3 hrs in the ER today trying to get my heart rate back down to it's normal 100 beats per min. I've always been told I have an irregular heart beat by every new dr I see none have ever said I needed to see a cardiologist until today. I have had episodes before where I can just be sitting on the sofa and my heart rate just goes through the roof to something like 180 beats/min. but as soon as I lay flat it's like someone flips and switch and it goes back to beating normal. I've spoken to drs before about it had to wear a heart monitor halter thing for 24 hrs before and never anything further. Well I got up this morning and while sitting on the toilet bam my heart starts going like crazy so I finished my business and went and layed back down thinking it'd right it's self in no more than a min. Well 10 min later no luck so i went up stairs and got my DH's blood pressure cuff thing to check my bp since I wanted to know if maybe this was causing the issue since on a normal day I have borderline low bp. It said I was 117/78 with a heart rate of 188. So I informed DH and just took it easy laying on the sofa then back on my bed because when I was up right I had serious problems breathing. I hadn't felt the baby move all morning so I checked him with my fetal doppler and he was doing great, but after an hour of this I decided it was time to call my OB the on call guy said to get to the ER. So off we went! Once we got into the ER they hooked me up to the EKG machine and then put in a huge IV line oh my lord I hate IVs and this one was the biggest one I've ever gotten! While hooked up to the EKG machine we could watch my heart rate and the kids had fun cheering and being disappointed every time it'd go back up. At one point it was up to 220!! So they started off with Vagal Maneuvers. These are non-pharmaceutical techniques used to try and slow the heart rate. First the nurse had me hold my breath and strain like I'm pooing (she felt the need to thrown in just don't poo on my bed....yeah I'll try not to) this didn't work at all. So we tried coughing and that did nothing. So on to the really fun stuff. She brought in a bucket full of ice and water and had me stick my face down in it until I needed to breath it did nothing but freeze my face. Then she dumped all that ice and water in a big back and pulled my gown down off my chest, covered the rest of me with some blankets and stuck the bag on my chest. While Gary and the nurse said it was working (but only worked while the bag was on my chest as soon as she removed it my heart rate when right back up) I started crying because it hurt and I couldn't breath. Little did I know the next step would hurt worse. The nurse said the next option was medicine. So she left and came back with some stuff and turned to Gary and said maybe you want to take the kids down to our kitchen and get them some drinks or snacks. This is the moment I started to freak out a bit cuz I knew she only said that so the kids wouldn't be there in the room. So he and the kids left and 7 different ER Drs and nurses came into the room to "watch" while they gave me this medicine. The medicine was like someone crushed the life out of me slowly going from my neck down to my pelvic area and it lasted the first time about 6 seconds. The first dose had very little effect so they gave me another dose and I swear the second dose lasted more like 20 seconds. I cried after the first dose and bawled like a little baby after the second and I swear I had contractions too. I prayed that my baby didn't feel that like I did because that would have been horrible. The second dose got my heart rate down to 120 so enough with that drug and they gave me some kinda blood pressure medicine that was supposed to help bring my heart rate back down the rest of the way. Which by the time we were leaving it was back down to 105.
The dr came in to discharge me and said I have Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia (PSVT) and I need to follow up with a cardiologist this week. He wanted to start me off on a low dose Beta blocker but once he said it would lower my BP I had to tell him I normally have low BP so that's not good because I'd be passing out left and right. So we left with the directions that if it happens again and if it doesn't right it's self to come back to the ER! Yay :-( I hope after seeing a cardiologist we have some what of a better game plan. I'd love to stick around this place for at least 50 more yrs :-)

No comments: