Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Oil Cleansing Facewash Method

So I read about how this was an awesome alternative to buying commercial face washes and it's a much healthier alternative for your skin. I am using Castor Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil and Tea Tree Oil. Castor Oil has potent anti-inflammatory properties, but is also healing and cleansing. Sunflower Seed Oil sinks into the skin better, aiding the Castor oil in transportation deep into the pores and allowing it to draw the dirt and grime to the surface of your skin where it can be wiped away. The essential fatty acids, though they are not naturally occurring in the body, are a necessity for the health of our cell membranes. These acids help restore the skins natural moisture balance and help prevent unnecessary dryness. Tea Tree Oil has beneficial medical properties when applied topically, including antiseptic, antibacterial, anti fungal,and antiviral action.

I mixed:
1 oz Castor Oil
2 oz Sunflower Seed Oil
0.1 ml of Tea Tree Oil

I used about a quarter size amount. I poured it into my hand and rubbed it together to heat it up. I massaged it in for a good i don't know 5 minutes. While doing this I let my sink fill up with hot water and stuck a wash cloth in it. After the 5 minute mini massage was done I wrung out the wash cloth and set it on my face to let the steam open my pores. I did this twice. Then I wiped my face down probably 3 times with the water and patted dry with a towel. My face didn't feel oily at all which I had expected since I was washing with oils. Instead it felt soft and velvety definitely not what I'm used to feeling after I wash my face. It normally feels dry and taut. I followed up with like the smallest of micro bits of Coconut Oil as my face lotion. So far I'm loving how my skin looks and feels just after this one go! :-) I'll add an update after using for 2 weeks.

*UPDATE* 12/30/10 my skin is doing great! I will never wash my face with anything else ever again! I haven't had really any break outs (like maybe 4 zits since i started using this and that like how many I used to get in 2 days) my pores are smaller and i have less black heads. They aren't all 100% gone but it's a vast improvement!
I even went out and got a fancy looking bottle for my new face wash!
(looks high dollar now doesn't it lol)

In this bottle now is:
3 oz Castor Oil
6 oz Sunflower Oil
15 drops Eucalyptus Oil
20 drops Tea Tree Oil

and unless my skin changes for some reason this is all that will ever be in this bottle. I love the smell of it too :-)

4 comments:

Christina said...

I've been curious about this and afraid to try it - both because I do NOT Have 5 minutes to do it every night and also because? Oil? lol. I do well enough with just water, but I'm having pregnancy breakouts right now :-/

Bree Edwards said...

I think you can do a quick wash and don't have to do the 5 min every night I think you can do the 5 min thing once a week for a good deep cleanse. Yeah I was very leary of the whole oil thing because if I just look at my skin funny I will get a zit or my eczema will flare up. I have completely crazy and sensative skin that's bi-polar. I'm giving this a try because the only thing that has helped my skin while being preggo this time around has been dropping $70/month on a facial and buying expensive face wash and lotions that were another $100 that lasted me a whole 3 months. I have better things to spend that money on (like cloth diapers lol). (and spelling and grammer mistakes were most likely made because I should be in bed but haven't got the energy to get off the sofa yet lol)

Wendy Bredhold said...

I have had eczema flare up around my eyes since getting pregnant. I also have psoriasis, and I can't use my usual topicals with the pregnancy. With all that and the bloating, I am feeling gross! How is your eczema responding to this?

Bree Edwards said...

it is responding really well to this method of cleaning. I think since you apply it to a dry face it helps remove 1 step that you would generally be using water during and water can really annoy eczema. I'm really likeing using Coconut Oil as my lotion to. But since I have such sensitive skin I'm having to do everything in steps. So I used the Coconut Oil alone for just a week and it's kept everything at a decent moisture level. So tonight I mixed in some Lavender Oil to the Coconut Oil to see how my acne and eczema react to that I have a few more essential oils I'm going to add to the lotion but like I said 1 step at a time :-) all though I'd really just love to dump it all in because I'm pretty sure it will be awesome but I want to make sure if something isn't working I know which something it is!